Before we started to look for new additions to our team (we're looking for 2 back-end developers), I asked my colleagues to name their top 3 reasons they like working at Smarkup. So here we go...
- I can work with Elixir and all the technologies of its ecosystem. I enjoy programming again as I did when I started back in the day.
- We're a good team—something like The Avengers, just a bit cooler. We can work together, learn from each other, help each other and have fun together. All the things that good teams do.
- We're not stressing ourselves. We're trying to be constructive and pragmatic but not uptight. The goal is to set up a sustainable mode of work, not to burn out quickly.
- 🎨 The possibility to create new things and not maintain a legacy.
- 🚀 Excitement to work with awesome people and participate in a new tool that can change how people collaborate.
- 💙 Not a stressful environment, feeling of personal freedom (no hard rules).
- 👷♂️ Creating an editor is challenging (believe me 😅).
- A developer can voluntarily dig into different stuff (various technologies, various areas: development, DevOps, design, etc.)
- Everyone is aware of the importance of DX (developer's experience) because the developer is only as good as are his tools.
- We do 1-on-1s.
- The people! I really enjoy spending time with my colleagues. We share the same values, we laugh a lot, and we all like dark humor. For me, it is the thing that brings me to our office every day.
- High standards and quality of work. Every member of our team is not just "getting the thing done somehow." But he takes ownership, thinks about the problem, delivers high standard outcomes, and shares learned knowledge with others. It motivates me to work on myself.
- Very challenging but possible goals. Smarkup is definitely the most challenging project I have ever worked on. The feeling when you figure things out and it works as you expected is priceless.
- People. I enjoy going to the office to see those faces. The team was built not just by matching skills but also by values and characters.
- Product. I love building great tools. Modern tools are human's superpowers. So all of us want it to be as good as possible, and it's up to us how great it's going to be. I use Smarkup myself on a daily basis as my primary tool for writing stuff down, so I'm especially pumped about it.
- Impact. We aim to build a product that will be used by millions of people all around the world. That feels good.
How did this happen?
...it's not 50m and the PlayStation is on it's way back 😀🤌